Regulations for International Students
North Sichuan Medical University
1. For registration in North Sichuan Medical University (NSMU), the students are requested to contact International Students Affairs Office (ISAO) within office hours in prefixed period of time for registration along with the following documents:
1). Original passport with two Xerox copies (the photo page and the visa page)
2). NSMC Admission and Confirmation letters
3). Visa application form (JW202)
4). Physical examination record for foreigner (PERF)
5). 10 passport size photos
6). Original Intermediate/10+2 certificates
7). Police Clearance Certificate
2. Self-financed students should pay their entire fees of the same academic year at the time of registration.
3. The registration should be done at the beginning of each academic semester at the ISAO within the predefined time period according to the university schedule. Those who cannot register within the time due to their inevitable problems should submit an application at ISAO in advance for consideration. Those who do not register in NSMC after two weeks without permission will be disqualified.
4. Students are required to attend the orientation before the commencement of their formal classes.
5. Students should use their own ID card for meals in the canteen and for using the computer lab, library, laboratory, etc.
6. Students are assigned rooms with basic facilities in the International Students’ Dormitory. They should sign on the dormitory agreement and checklist before moving in.
Payment of Fees
1. International students should pay the entire fee of the same academic year at the time of registration. The fee includes tuition fee, dormitory fee, registration, examination, miscellaneous fee, and insurance, etc. All the fees must be paid in RMB.
2. Delay in payment of the fee within the stipulated time period will result into extra fine, which should be borne by the students.
3. Failure in payment of fees within the fine period without any rational reason will cost the student out of the dormitory and classroom till further arrangements /considerations are worked out by the ISAO and alleged student’s parents.
4. The accounts of under/over usage of electricity and water than the specified limit should be cleared by first week of every month in the Centre of Dormitory Management.
5. Receipt of the payment of the fees should be kept carefully for future reference.
6. Students who drop out of NSMC one month after the start of a semester can claim half of their tuition fees back. After one month, there will be no refund.
Visa and Alien’s Residence Permit
1. International students should come to North Sichuan Medical College with X visas and apply for their “Alien’s Residence Permits” within 30 days of entry in China at “Alien’s Exit and Entry Administration Office” of the Nanchong Municipal Public Security Bureau. Normal Physical Examination report from the
2. Visa extension or Residence Permit extension application should reach the Public Security Bureau at least 7 days before expiry of the Visa/Residence Permit. The application should include original passport, Residence Permit, Xerox copy of passport and residence permit/visa, 1 passport size photo and a certificate from ISAO.
3. Expiry date on the passport and Residence Permit/visa should be checked frequently. Overstay becomes illegal and is fined according to the Chinese law.
4. Passport expiry/loss should be reported to the respective embassies of student’s native country in
5. Those who transfer to other college, drop out or are expelled from NSMU should have their Residence Permit in Nanchong terminated.
6. The official documents and IDs should be carefully preserved and is strictly prohibited to forge, alter, misuse, transfer, purchase, procure or sell. Anyone found doing this malpractice will face legal actions according to Chinese laws.
Behavior Guidelines for International Students
1. The students should obey and follow the laws, policies, rules and regulations of the Chinese government and accept the arrangements of
2. Respect and obey the guideline of the faculty and staff members of the college.
3. Respect the custom, culture, religious belief, traditions and habits of the Chinese people.
4. Respect the custom, culture, religious belief, traditions and habits of students from different countries.
5. Respect your fellow students, cherish friendship and be ready to offer your helping hand.
6. Participate in regular exercises and maintain personal and public hygiene.
7. Develop habits in becoming diligent and studious towards studies and gain academic excellence.
8. Observe study disciplines and never enter/leave the classroom without permission. Smoking or eating during class is prohibited.
9. Engagement in illegal religious activities and missionary work is forbidden in
10. Part time job without permission is not allowed for International Students.
11. Imploring sex workers, illicitly cohabiting or using illegal drugs is subject to face legal actions and will be expelled from the college and the country.
12. To maintain a regular order of teaching, the students are not allowed to leave during the academic session.
13. All Chinese National Holidays and the school’s summer and winter vacations are applicable to international students as well except for some special arrangements. The International Students can apply one week ahead for one or two days off for their own important national holidays, which must be approved by the ISAO.
14. Requests for sick leave or personal leave should be approved by the ISAO and forwarded to the teachers in advance. Any leave without prior request constitutes truancy. Students asking for sick leave should submit medical proof. The leave is only validated when approval is obtained.
15. Do not make noise in your classroom, bedroom, the
1. Foreign students are not allowed to live out of NSMU campus. They should live in the designated rooms on campus.
2. Foreign students’ rooms are under the administration of the
3. Students can live in the designated rooms after the permission from the
4. Students are not authorized to lease out their designated rooms.
5. Students can not exchange rooms or keep visitors overnight without permission.
6. Two or more students shall equally share a room. When one roommate leaves, the
7. Foreign student rooms should be maintained neat, clean and peaceful. Any activities that disturb other students shall face punishment.
8. International students should take care of all facilities in the dormitory. Compensation for the loss and damage of any facilities should be borne by the students.
9. Students should not install extra electric heaters or utensils in the rooms. Violators will suffer fine accordingly.
10. It is urged that students should take care of their important personal documents and the keys of their rooms.
11. Always be alert against theft or fire.
12. The garbage should be collected and carried in a plastic bag and should be deposited in the dustbin. Dumping garbage such as fruit peels into the toilet is forbidden.
13. Students must abide by the college schedule. Student cannot leave campus after 9:30 p.m. All students must be back to the dormitory before 11:00 p.m.
14. Drinking alcoholic beverage and gambling are forbidden.
15. Boys are not allowed to enter girls’ dormitory and vice versa.
16. Electricity and water should be conserved. Consumption beyond the allowed limit of water and electricity (6 tons of water and 80 KW per room per month for ten months each year, and 200 KW per room in January and June for each room) should be paid by the students. Electric appliances such as electric heater, microwave oven, etc. are not permitted within dormitory. Any damages caused by the misuse of such high-voltage electrical appliances should be compensated by the troublemaker. The troublemaker should also bear the sole legal responsibility if the behavior has violated the law.
17. Students should cooperate well with the dormitory staff.
18. Students are barred from changing door locks.
19. Combustibles, explosive substance, unauthorized liquors and drugs are absolutely forbidden in the dorm. Once found, such materials will be confiscated and the student who possesses them will face regulatory actions.
20. Before leaving the college, students should make sure that everything in the room is in order and the keys should be returned to the
Every student is required to act in accordance with the above items.
1. International students must attend all classes defined by the teaching plan and pass all the examinations conducted by ISAO in North Sichuan Medical University (NSMU).
2. The examinations are graded with 100 point system of which the passing score is 60%, i.e. 60 points out of 100 points. The final score is composed of the final examination (60%), internal assessment (30%) and performance during semester including class attendance (10%).
3. For each subject, minimum class attendance requirement for participating in the final examination is 80 % of the total academic hours, including theory and practical.
4. Whoever fails to participate in the final examination without permission from the ISAO will be regarded as absent and will be awarded ‘
5. Teachers will evaluate and mark the exam papers respectively and grade students. Marked papers will not be given back to the students. Written application may be submitted to ISAO for re-checking the marks in case of dissidence in the score within the first week of the next semester. The related department will recheck the paper according to regular procedures. Students have no right to check the examination papers or ask the subject teacher to change the score.
6. Those who fail in final semester examinations are allowed to sit for make-up test, but the final result in the mark-sheet will be marked as “Make-up Examination”. Failure in the make-up test will result in restudying the course whose fee should be borne by the student.
7. The score of make-up exams will be recorded as follows: If the score is 60 or more, it will be recorded as 60. If less than 60, it will be recorded as the exact mark. The make-up record will also be kept in the personal file.
8. If inevitable circumstances, during examination period, refrains a student from participating in the examination, the student should write an application for postponing the exam. If permission is granted, he/she will be allowed to take part in the make-up test arranged by ISAO and the record will not be marked as “Make-up Examination”. However, he/she will not be given a make-up examination if he/she fails. He/she will have to restudy the subject as those who fail in the make-up examination.
9. International Students must finish assignments conscientiously, independently and in time. Those who fail to submit two fifths of the assignments or who are absent from class (theory and practical) for more than 20% of the total classes in a subject without good reasons will be barred from taking the final semester examination. The mark in that particular subject (theory or practical) will be recorded as “
10. The student must observe the rules of the examination room and must not promote cheating during examination. Once cheating is found, he/she will be asked to leave the exam hall and the paper will be marked “
11. Examination Rules
1). Students should arrive at the examination room 15 minutes before the examination. Having been admitted to the examination room, students are not allowed to leave without permission from the invigilator. Students should wear proper attire. No students are permitted to enter the examination room 15 minutes after the examination has started. Students are not permitted to leave the examination room during the first 30 minutes of each examination.
2). Students must leave all the study materials and bags in the front of the examination room.
3). Students must keep absolute silence in the examination room.
4). During the examination, students must keep their mobile phones and other electronic devices OFF and put them in the assigned place.
5). Students must write their roll number and names on the examination paper first.
6). Students must not cheat or assist cheating: they must not communicate by word of mouth or other body languages with other students. They must not borrow any stationery (e.g. pens, rulers, erasers, calculators, etc.) from others during the examination. They must not peep at other students’ papers or change papers with others. They must not bring in test-related papers to the test room. If the above-mentioned behavior(s) is/are found, his/her result will be marked as “zero” and a written warning will be given.
7). Students must use black or dark blue ball-point pens for writing answers. Examination papers completed by pencils or red pens will be null (examination questions which require drawing pictures excluded).
8). Students must not raise any questions to the invigilators during the examination.
9). Students must observe the prevailing non-smoking rule in the examination room. Food and drink are not allowed.
10). Students must remain seated at the end of the examination. Students must not communicate with other students while all completed examination papers are being collected by the invigilators.
11). Students must not talk or discuss outside the examination room after submitting their papers in advance, because this may disturb other students who are still sitting for the examination.
II Class Attendance
1. International students must study all the subjects offered by NSMU conscientiously and complete all the assignments.
2. International students should attend classes regularly—be in the classroom at least 10 minutes before class, observe class disciplines and should not leave class before it is over. 5 minutes late for the class or leaving the class before it is over will be regarded as absence.
3. If a student is unable to attend the scheduled teaching session due to illness, he/she should ask for leave in advance with the certificate from the hospital. The subject teacher may approve leave for one day only. The student should hand in an application to ISAO for leaving more than one day. The student who is absent without approval for leaving is considered as skipping class and will be handled in accordance with the seriousness of his/her case.
4. Students skipping classes in a term for 20 periods will be given an oral warning. Those who skip classes in a term for 50 periods will be given a written warning.
5. Those who skip classes for 1/4 of the total class hours in one semester will be demoted to a lower batch.
III Suspension, Resumption of Studies, Promotion, Demotion and Rustication
1. Suspension and Resumption of Studies
1). International students who ask for leave for one third of the total class time (6 weeks or more) due to personal affairs or serious illness will be asked to suspend their studies.
2). If a student gets three written warnings in his/her academic years, he/she should be suspended as a regulatory punishment.
3). The status of ‘student’ will be retained for one, at most, two years during suspension. When suspension is due, the student should ask for resumption of studies two weeks before the start of a new academic year. He/she will be arranged in a lower grade.
4). Total suspension time for a student should not exceed two years.
5). Once suspension decision is made, the student should leave NSMU within 10 days.
6). During suspension, the student should take sole responsibility of his/her expenses and safety.
7). Those who fail to resume study at scheduled time will be regarded as “drop-out”.
8). Those who did anything against the law or regulations will be refused to resume study in NSMU and will be rusticated.
Those who have passed all the required and selective subjects as defined by the teaching syllabus will be promoted.
Demotion process will be carried out at the beginning of each semester.
1). A student who failed in the make-up examinations of four subjects or more, or failed in the restudy examinations of two or more subjects in one academic year will be demoted to a lower grade.
2). If one subject is taught in two or more semesters, it is still considered as one subject.
3). First year students failing in the make-up tests of four subjects or failed in the restudy of two subjects in the first semester are allowed to sit in the same class and will be given another chance to sit in the make-up tests by the end of the second semester. Failing again in make–up test and the number of subjects failed sum up to three subjects or two major subjects, will result in demotion to a lower grade.
4). Those who skip class for 1/4 of the total class hours in one semester will be demoted.
5). Those who fail to participate in the final examinations of three or more subjects in one academic year because their class attendance do not meet the minimum requirement will be demoted to a lower grade.
1). When suspension is due, the student who fails to resume study on time or fails to report to SIEC will be rusticated from NSMU.
2). A student is only to be demoted once (Refer to Demotion). If he/she should be demoted again, he/she will be rusticated from NSMU.
3). Those who are suffering from severe mental diseases or other serious medical illness will be persuaded to drop out. If he/she refuses, he/she will be rusticated from NSMU.
4). If a student should be demoted, there is no lower grade, he/she should be rusticated.
5). The student who is rusticated because of the above reasons will not be considered as an administrative punishment.
6). Those who seriously violate the regulations of NSMU and the Chinese laws will be rusticated from NSMC as an administrative punishment.
The students who are disqualified and rusticated must leave within 10 days.
Transfer will be allowed before the start of a new semester. The student can start the procedure from the mid-term of each semester.
A student can apply for transfer to other college or university under the following condition:
The student is not eligible for the study of medicine and the transfer will offer a better chance to bring his/her potential into full play.
1). The student who wants to transfer writes an application to SIEC.
2). The transfer application should be confirmed by the applicant’s parents by mail or fax.
3). The receiving college or university should send SIEC a mail giving their agreement to the transfer.
4). After completion of the above procedures, a Transfer Permit will be given to the applicant.
5). Once the Transfer Permit is given, the applicant’s Residence Permit in Nanchong will be terminated. A temporary residence permit will be issued by the “Alien’s Exit and Entry Administration Office” of the Nanchong Municipal Public Security Bureau. The applicant must apply for new Residence Permit in the city where he/she studies.
V Award, Counseling and Punishment
1). Students observing school regulations and laws and excelling in studies deserve honor with the title of ‘Excellent Student’. The topper of each class will be awarded ‘Topper Certificate’ with other complimentary prizes. The college will give such students Certificate of Merit at the end of each academic year.
2). The student whose result of a major subject is more than 90 and ranks the top will be awarded the honor of Excellent Student in Single Subject. SIEC will issue this student a Certificate of Merit as an encouragement.
3). The students who have full class attendance will be awarded a Certificate of Full Attendance by SIEC.
4). SIEC shall issue oral and/or written compliments to those students doing something good on or off campus.
Any student who often skips classes or does not follow other regulations of SIEC and NSMC will receive counseling from ISAO. The teachers from ISAO will kindly remind him/her to correct his /her behavior and write a promise. If such behavior continues after being pointed out and counseled, the alleged student will face the consequences according to the seriousness of his/her case.
1). The following misconducts are subject to school disciplines in terms of oral warning, written warning, putting on probation, and expulsion from school:
(1) Breaching school disciplines.
(2) Damaging public properties.
(3) Fighting and hooliganism.
(4) Drinking liquors and taking unauthorized drugs.
(5) Students who leave
(6) Other wrong doings.
2). The disciplinary measures against him/her may be lifted if the student has clearly corrected his/her misconduct within a year. If he/she fails to correct his/her misconduct while on probation, then he/she will be ordered to leave NSMU.
3). Once the decision for the above-mentioned punishment is made, the student concerned will be notified and action is taken immediately.
4). The student who is suspended or expelled must leave school within 10 days.
VI Graduation or Completion
1). The graduation certificate will be awarded to those students who have completed and passed all compulsory and elective subjects and rotatory internship according to the teaching curriculum offered by NSMU.
2). The international students who still have one or more subjects failed by the end of his study in NSMU according to the teaching curriculum offered by NSMU are regarded as completing courses and will be issued a certificate of completion but no certificate of graduation.
3). The international students who have graduated or completed courses should leave within 10 days.
1. Dining Hall Rules
Students who take meals in the dining halls of the college should conscientiously observe the regulations of the dining hall and follow the timings.
2. Medical Services
The college hospital provides medical services to international students, but they should pay for all medical expenses. For medical insurance, refer to the policies of the insurance company.
Students may travel in
4. Leaving college
The students who are going to leave the college should observe the following formalities:
1). Settle all outstanding accounts.
2). Return furniture and beddings to the
3). Return books and library cards.
4). Return students ID cards and other relevant documents.
Safeguard Regulations for International Students
1. These regulations are meant to maintain the security, stability and public order, and to promote international communication.
2. The lawful rights of the international students who are studying at NSMU are duly safeguarded.
3. International students should abide by the laws, rules and regulations of P. R. China, and the regulations of NSMC. International students should respect Chinese traditions and moral values.
4. After students register at ISAO of School of International Education and Cooperation (SIEC), SIEC will report the names of the international students to the Department of Public Security.
5. After the completion of study, international students should leave NSMU in the designated time. If not, they should inform SIEC immediately.
6. On campus, the international students should follow the regulations as follows:
1). Respect the entrance guard and follow the regulations.
2). If taking a taxi, get off at the gate, unless there is some special permission.
3). Skateboarding and playing balls are forbidden in the lawn, on the road or in the dormitory.
4). Do not drive noisy or unlicensed cars and motorcycles.
5). Drinking alcoholic beverage is forbidden. If anything happens due to alcoholic beverage, the international students should be solely responsible for the consequences.
7. International students can only live in the designated rooms and are not allowed to rent rooms off/on campus. They must conform to the regulations concerning lodging and receiving guests as follows:
1). Register at the dormitory office with one’s own passport.
2). Do not use candles, electric stove and other dangerous electrical appliances in the apartment.
3). Money or valuable items should be deposited in banks.
8. On campus activities organized by international students should have approval from ISAO. The procedures are as follows:
1). Submit a written application three days in advance.
2). The application should include the time, place and contents.
3). The application should include details of the organizer(s) and participants.
9. Illegal religious activities in any form are forbidden both on and off campus. Religious preach is forbidden on campus and in nonreligious places off campus.
10. Do not join any illegal religious organizations.
11. The international students who violate the regulations from item 3 to item 10 will be reprimanded in accordance with the gravity of each case. Violation of law will be subjected to the Public Security Bureau of Nanchong City.
12. The international students who conduct behaviors incompatible with rules other than these regulations will be reprimanded by SIEC, the Department of Public Security and other functioning departments.
13. These provisional regulations will take effect from the time of being issued.
Please Remember the Following Address and Phone Numbers:
1. Correspondence Address:
No.55 Dongshun Road, Gao Ping District, Nanchong City, Sichuan Province 637000, The People's Republic of China
Student Affairs Office:
The Student Affairs Office conducts administration and provides services to the international students of
2. Emergency calls:
Ambulance (first-aid): 120
Emergency (police): 110
Emergency (fire): 119
3. Please take good care of your passport, resident permit, credit card, cash, computer and valuables.
4. Please shut the door and windows when you leave your room.
5. Please don't talk too much with strangers or bring them to your room.
6. Please leave quickly when you get entangled with strangers. In case of emergency, please dial 110 to seek help from police
7. Ask the traffic policeman for help when you lose your direction.
8. Don't lend your money to unfamiliar people.
9. When you are in trouble, ask for help from your teacher in charge of you or the teachers on duty.
Wish you a happy and memorable study and stay in NSMU and